Friday, October 15, 2010

1st Nine Weeks Reading Reflection

Reading has always been fun and easy for me. When I was young I would read whenever I wanted too, but now I have to schedule a time specifically for reading. I have tried to establish a reading habit but I haven't had much luck. My schedule is different every week so I have trouble setting aside a time for reading everyday. Even though I haven't set aside a time to use everyday, I still managed to find time to read. Admittedly, I did not always read enough some nights so I had to stay up late on other nights to make up for the lost time. Now that I know how much I have to read, I will try to form a habit so I don't have to cram all of my reading into one night.

I have no problem reading my required amount, but I have trouble inking my thinking. I read texts deeply, but I cannot seem to make myself ink my thoughts very often. I do not like to stop my reading to pick up a pencil and write what I am thinking. I just like to keep reading, and think while I am reading. I know this is wrong so I am trying to change it, but inking my thinking is not an easy habit for me to form.

Next quarter I am going to try to set aside a time for me to read every night, and actually follow this through, to the end. I will also try to stop reading more often to ink what I am thinking. Two books that I know I want to read during the second quarter are When it Happens by Susan Colasanti and Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. I am a big Jodi Picoult fan so I pretty much want to read anything she writes, and all of my friends have recommended When it Happens so I really want to read that too. Hopefully reading this quarter will be easier for me to complete.

1 comment:

  1. It's okay to sometimes read for pleasure, not stopping to write. The key is balance. Sometimes, in order to build those analytical muscles, we need to force ourselves to read and stop to re-read, think, reflect, and ink our thinking. It's a new skill and will take time before you're comfortable doing it. Stick with it. It will pay!

    I wish I had more Picoult books, but our library should be open soon, and I think we have a big selection.

    ReplyDelete