Monday, October 11, 2010

Socratic Seminar Reflection

When I first found out that we had to do a Socratic Seminar I was apprehensive. I have no problem talking in front of people I know, but I do not really enjoy being in the spotlight while discussing deep topics that require a lot of thinking. This type of discussion makes me feel inadequate. Surprisingly, I enjoyed this discussion because it expanded my thinking on many questions I had from Brave New World.

While preparing for this discussion I made sure I would have plenty of topics and questions to talk about in order to make me feel more comfortable. Preparing for this type of discussion forced me to think on a much deeper level and really understand what I was reading.

Preparing for the discussion helped me a lot, but I probably benefited most from the actual discussion. Everyone had different ideas than I did, so by listening to them I thought about many things I had never thought of. In one of my discussions we were talking about individualism. Someone mentioned that we don't really have individualism in products anymore because everything is mass produced. Interestingly, we brought up that some products now, like iPods, actually encourage individualism by allowing everyone to put different music and videos on them. On my own I never would have thought of this, but by participating in the discussion I got many new ideas.

One thing I had trouble with was clearing my mind and really listening to what the other people in my group had to say. I was usually thinking about how I was going to respond. I had to constantly remind myself that I needed to listen to what others were saying. I also had trouble finding the right time to jump in the conversation. I didn't want to step on anyone's toes so I kind of held back. If I had a do-over I would listen more attentively and jump in the conversation a little more often.

The Socratic Seminar was fun and challenging. I left the class with new ideas that I never would have come up with if we had just taken a test over the book. Socrates believed that a discussion, like we participated in, is one of the best ways to learn; based on my experience I believe this is true.

1 comment:

  1. Clearing my own mind while others are talking is the most difficult aspect of listening for me as well. I often find myself formulating how I'll reply rather than really listening to what a person is saying. Realizing this is a weakness, though, can focus our improving as a listener!

    ReplyDelete